The thief comes to steal, kill and destroy. (John 10:10)
We can see this threefold attack of the devil in David's life when:
David and his men returned to their homes in Ziklag and they found their houses burnt by fire by the Amalekites. (1 Samuel 30:1)
The Amalekites had kidnapped the wives and children of David and his men. (1 Samuel 30:2)
Though the Amakelites did not kill anyone, (1 Samuel 30:2) the devil was not through with David because his own men now started speaking of stoning him. (1 Samuel 30:6)
So what do you do when you are faced with a three-pronged attack of the devil?
You deal with the situation like David for David encouraged himself in the Lord. (1 Samuel 30:6)
This was a great response considering the fact that David had lost almost everything in his life considering the fact that:
1. David could not live with his people the Israelites because King Saul was trying to catch and kill him because of jealousy.
2. After moving and going to live in Ziklag, the Amalekites had come and destroyed his house and those of his men with fire.
3. David did not have anything to do with the Amalekite attack and yet his men started talking about stoning him.
4. David's wives has also been kidnapped by the Amalekites and thus he did not have any human being on his side to console or encourage.
How to Encourage Yourself in the LordTherefore if you ever find yourself in a situation where everything you have has been taken away from you and the people you thought you could depend on are now taking about killing, emulate strengthen yourself in the Lord by doing the following:
1. Pray for StrengthAsk for God to strengthen you in the inner person so that you can deal with this challenge in your life. For example you can pray,
Heavenly Father I ask You in the name of Jesus to help me so that I can Be strong in the Lord and in the power of Your might. (Ephesians 6:10)
2. Put on the Armor of GodPut on the whole armor of God so that you may be able to stand against the strategies of the devil. (Ephesians 6:10)
3. Remind Yourself of God's Promises
Reminding yourself of God's good promises gives you something good to look forward to especially when you are bombarded by problems from all directions.
These promises could have been things God told you Himself for example in David's situation, he was anointed to be king many years ago by Samuel (1 Samuel 16:13) and he could have reminded himself that he was destined to become King of Israel and not to die as a fugitive in Ziklag.
Therefore remind yourself of what God has told you about His plans for your life. Remind yourself that human beings can abort God's plans for you life regardless of their numbers, their power or their wealth.
If you do not have a specific Word from the Lord, remind yourself of His promises in the Bible which are for everyone.
One good promise to remind yourself is Weeping may endure for a night but joy cometh in the morning. (Psalm 30:5) Therefore decide to look forward to your morning season instead of accepting to be buried in your night season.
4. Believe God's Promises
After reminding yourself of God's promises decide to believe them so that you do not drown in the despair brought on by the multiple attacks of the enemy on your life.
Emulate David for he said, I would have lost heart unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. (Psalm 27:13)